Thursday, July 14, 2011

PHRE Weeding

I have finished evaluating the philosophy and religion (PHRE) section of the reference collection, and with this section complete, I have finished my part of the reference weeding project. Currency is not as vital to this discipline as it was with some of the other disciplines I looked at. However, I did a fair amount of weeding because we had several of these items as e-books. I also moved some of the books to special collections. We were told to be on the lookout for anything that was published before 1909, and anything that was related to Appalachia. These items were to be moved to special collections. The archivist is in the process of creating an Appalachian section in special collections because we have a Appalachian studies program here at the university. He wanted to books published before 1909, just because they are old. The oldest book I found was from 1898.

Here are the stats for the PHRE section. There were 211 books in this section. I sent 156 (73.9%) of those books to the main collection. I kept 6 (2.8%) of the books in the reference collection. Six (2.8%) of these books were sent to special collections. I removed 43 (20.5%) books from the collection.

That completes my portion of the reference weeding project, and I finished it well in advance of the August 1 deadline. Yay me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment