Wednesday, July 20, 2011

cpd23: Online Networks

I participate in several online networks. I use these to connect with other librarians in my field and in other fields and I also use them to stay up on current event and trends in librarianship. I have already written about many of the networks that I participate in, but I'll recount them yet again for the sake of this week's topic.

First off I have a LinkedIn account. I admit that I have not been as active on this site as I could have been. I do try to keep it updated, but I am not currently looking for a job, so its usefulness is lost on me.

I love the network that my Twitter account let's me participate in. Twitter is a great place to connect with other librarians. We have a very large showing in the Twitterverse. I love it because I can ask a question and in no time I have several replies from librarians in the know. It's a great place to get feedback on projects or ideas you're floating around.

Another great online network I'm apart of is the listservs I follow. I follow the ili-listserv, which is for ACRL's instruction section. This is a great place to share information and connect with other instruction librarians. I also follow the ALA InfoLit listserv and the ALA LITA listserv. All three of these listservs create a great network that can be very useful for professional development and furthering your career.

I also have an account on ALA Connect. This is something that I have rarely used and really need to look at again. I have no one in my network on this account, and I really need to work on it some. As a matter of fact, I found out today that I never updated that account after I got my current job. I really need to do better with that. I wonder if there's an app for it. That would help me keep it up-to-date. :) This is something I will be working on this week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking for a job and LinedIn's usefulness is lost on me. The only useful feature I see are active groups, which can be hard to find.

    -Jill
    http://learninglibrarian.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete