Thursday, June 30, 2011

NURS Weeding

I finished weeding the NURS (nursing) section of reference today. Currency is vital to this subject area, so there were a lot of titles withdrawn. I also ran across several books that we also had ebook copies, so of course, the hard copies of these books were withdrawn . The oldest books I ran across were from the 1920s. I also discovered that several of the books in my list were not in the reference section. After a little digging I discovered that they had already been withdrawn. Obviously this list isn't as current as we have been lead to believe. I wonder who had these withdrawn. It is all a little odd.

Here are the stats for the NURS area of reference. There were 247 titles in this section. Of those 247 titles, 17 of them (7.3% of the collection) had already been withdrawn and 1 was not in reference, but it was in periodicals. I sent 142 of these titles (57.5%) to the main collection. I kept 18 of these titles (7.3% of the collection) in the reference collection, and removed 66 titles (26.7%) from the collection.

That's 771 books down and 212 to go. I have finished 78.4% of the books I am responsible for. I am on the home stretch now and I firmly believe I will be complete before the August 1 deadline. I will now move on to the last section, PHRE (philosophy and religion).

No comments:

Post a Comment