Thursday, June 23, 2011

cpd23: What blogs do I follow and why?

I follow several library related blogs using my RSS feed. Here is a list of the blogs I follow:
  • American Libraries Magazine: I follow this blog to keep up to date on news and information from ALA.
  • lauren's library blog: This is Lauren Pressley's blog. She is the Instructional Design Librarian at Wake Forest University. Her blogs tend to focus on information and the Internet.
  • ACRLog: This is ACRL's blog. I follow it to keep up to date of news and information from ACRL. The blog's tagline is "Blogging by and for academic and research librarians."
  • the outreach librarian: This blog is maintained by Lizz Zitron, who is the Outreach Librarian at Cathage College in Kenosha, WI.
  • lyndamk: Lynda Kellam is UNCG's Data Services and Government Information Librarian. She does a lot of instruction and attends lots of conferences, and she blogs about it! (On a side note, she was one of my mentors in library school, and I cannot say enough about how much she helped me gain real-life library experience. She is one of the big reasons I was able to get a job after I graduated. This women is a real library rock star!)
  • The ALA Learning Round Table Blog: This blog contains posts about conferences, continuing education and professional development for librarians.
  • A Ghost of Daisies: I went to library school with this newly minted web librarian. (She graduated this past May.) She blogs a lot about web design and Drupal. I don't always understand what she blogs about, but I try.
These blogs help me keep up with trends in libraryland. I also follow lots of librarians on Twitter. It's great for networking and professional development.

5 comments:

  1. Great list of blogs! Thanks for sharing. You might to check out http://www.davidleeking.com/. King blogs about a lot of current library trends in technology etc. It's a great way to stay up to date.

    Deanne
    www.curbservice.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too sweet lady! Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer. I am just looking at some of the other cpd23 blogs to write my Thing 2 post. Your idea to use your blog to record library enquiries is a really good idea. I work in a business library of a professional body in London, UK. I went through six months of training before going on the enquiry desk by myself because our enquiries can be very detailed and complex! I kept a spreadsheet of interesting queries which is over 40 pages long but hadn't thought of recording them in a blog.
    I'll keep coming back to see how you get on with your enquiries. I have been 'flying solo' for 8 months now and am a lot more settled than I was at the start.

    Antje
    http://booksballsandbusiness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete