Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Independent Study, 9/9/09

This morning Mary Jane and I went over some of the questionable subject headings I ran across last week. We corrected some of the bibliographic records that contained the Kosovo (Serbia or Republic)--History--Civil War, 1998-1999 headings. They need to be changed to Kosovo War, 1998-1999. I started a Guide to Subject Headings that can be Changed by Students, so that student workers can go in and change these subject headings at a later date.

Another problem heading I ran into was Utah Expedition, 1857-1858. This heading was changed from a subject heading to a name heading. Mary Jane and I believe that is why the heading did not change over automatically like they were supposed to. The fields changed from a 650 to a 611 and this caused confusion in the authority records.

Last week I had also run across some name authority records (100 and 700) that were not in the system. Today Mary Jane instructed me in how to download these records and add them to the system. I downloaded three records using SmartPort in the SirsiDynix Symphony WorkFlows system. (Hartmann, Michael E.; Parajon, Christina; Farkas, Evelyn N.)

I worked in the Catalog Service Bulletin again today as well. I only changed three records though. Last week I changed 96. Mary Jane said I just got lucky. When she has went through these in the past, she typically only finds very few. Today I changed (2 records) Contrast media to Contrast media (Diagnostic imaging) and (1 record) Contrast media to Radiographic contrast media.

I also worked with cataloging new books as well. I cataloged 11 new books total today.

No comments:

Post a Comment