Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Independent Study, 9/2/2009

September 2, 2009

Today I worked solely on LC Subject Headings. Using the Cataloging Service Bulletin that is put out by the Library of Congress, I went through the catalog and replaced the subject headings that had been revised with their new subject headings. The cataloging department at UNCG's Jackson Library uses the newest version of WorkFlows to maintain their biblographic records. To search for subject headings I entered the Modify Title screen and browsed by subject.

I changed a total of 81 records today. In the bibliographic record, if a subject heading is no longer vaild it will say UNAUTHORIZED out beside of it. The subject headings that I worked with are as follows:
  • Kosovo (Serbia) to Kosovo (Republic). I changed 34 bibliographic records that had this as its main subject heading. I only changed the main heading. I did not alter any sub-divided headings that used this subject. For example aNationalismzYugoslaviazKosovo (Serbia) was not changed, but aKosovo (Serbia)xEthic Relations was. These were the most involved records that I worked with today.
  • Soap operas to Television soap operas. I changed 30 bibliographic records with this subject heading. This subject heading was very simple, and I found no instances of it being sub-divided. I was just surprised we had so many books on soap operas.
  • Soap operas to Radio soap operas. One (1) bibliographic record changed.
  • Television serials to Television series. One (1) bibliographic record changed.
  • Prize to Prizes (Property captured at sea). Seven (7) bibliographic records changed.
  • Prizes to Prizes (Property captured at sea). Nine (9) bibliographic records changed.
  • Pluralism (Social sciences) to Cultural pluralism. Two (2) bibliographic records changed.

I checked other subject headings as well that did not need revising. Jackson Library outsources its authority control to an outside vendor. It is their job to make sure that the library's authority records are in fact correct. I will have to look at many more records before I decide whether or not they are doing their job. Tomorrow I will be attending a department meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment