Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reference Questions, 3/20/2011

I had someone waiting on me when I got to the desk this afternoon. I hope that is not a sign of how this 7 hour shift is going to go.
  1. A professor emeritus was looking for a resource on how to do footnotes in MLA 7th, well at least that is what he asked about first. I'm not really sure what he was after. He then went on to ask about comparing reference and works cited pages between MLA, APA and Chicago. I showed him the LibGuides we have on the three. He said I was very helpful, so at least he left happy. This was one of the most confusing reference transactions I've ever had.
  2. Looking for headphones
  3. Looking for an atlas of Asia
  4. Looking for an atlas of North America
  5. Looking for scissors
  6. Looking for the APA manual
  7. Looking for some tape
  8. (Phone) Wanted to know how to access an e-book and how to request a book so that it is waiting for you at the Front Desk
  9. Looking at book in the catalog and it said it was on the hold shelf, he wanted to know what that meant
  10. Computer was telling him that there was a paper jam in BW2, but the printer was not reporting a paper jam; had him print to another printer
  11. Needed company info on Dick's Sporting Goods; Business Source Complete to the rescue!
  12. Student needed a certain software program to take a quiz for a class. He said it was called Lock Down, and he'd found it on a computer on the 4th floor. However he didn't want to take it upstairs he wanted to take it here on the 3rd floor, and the computers here do not have this program. Not really sure what he wants me to do about it. I love stubborn students.
  13. Wanted to borrow a calculator; he was at a computer so I told him how to find the calculator ont he computer
  14. Wanted to make copies of pages in a book, but wanted those copies to be double sided; I suggested she use the scanner
  15. Wanted to know where to check out books
  16. Wanted to know if you could print on a sheet larger than 8-1/2 x 11
  17. Wanted to borrow 2 pens
  18. Needed help with the scanner; wanted to know how to scan several pages into one file
  19. Was having trouble finding a book; it is in Special Collections and he can't see it until tomorrow; told him he'd have to contact our archivist to see it
  20. Wanted to check out a DVD, but it is on reserve, he wanted to know what that meant
  21. Was having trouble pulling up PDFs in Academic Search Complete; he was in Chrome so I had he change to Firefox. Chrome sometimes has trouble pulling up PDFs in the databases
  22. Needed help finding a book in the reference collection
  23. Wanted to know where to check out books
  24. Wanted to know how to print in color
  25. Wanted to know if the copier took RU Express
  26. Wanted to know if you had to pay for color print outs differently than you pay for black and white print outs
  27. Looking for the journal Laryngoscope; she was looking for an article that she thought was only in print, but we have it online, so I showed her how to access it
  28. Looking for some headphones
  29. Looking for a few sheets of printer paper
  30. (Chat) Looking for books on the leopard tortoise
  31. Needed help with the copier, when I said that the Front Desk handles all copier issues they said that the Front Desk told her that I needed to help them because they [person at the Front Desk] didn't know how to "fix" the copier [biting tongue now]; I helped them use the scanner instead
  32. Needed help using the scanner
The library was packed tonight. I had periods where I was fairly busy, followed by periods where I wasn't busy. The end of the semester is approaching. It will only get worse from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment