Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reference Questions, 3/17/2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone out in Libraryland! It's 11:00 a.m. on the reference desk. Do you know what your next reference question will be?
  1. Looking for a stapler
  2. Looking for Classroom B
  3. Wanted to know how to get articles out of bound journals. (This question cracked me up. I really take for granted how much power we wield with all this knowledge we keep. ;) I should have told him that we librarians use are magic bookmark to remove them.) However I told him that he could use the copier. He then wanted to know if it took debit cards. I told him that it didn't, and that the Front Desk handled the copier questions. He went to the Front Desk and then returned to use the scanners. I'm sure he'll have more questions for me soon. Speak of the devil.
  4. Needed help scanning; he was scanning each individual page as a separate file, so I showed him how to scan the article into one file
  5. Scanning help again; he wasn't placing the book in the right corner of the scanner
  6. Needed help printing to the Pay for Print printer
  7. Wanted to know what to do with bound journals after he was finished with them
  8. Wanted to borrow an eraser
  9. Wanted to know if there was a way to look up your student ID number if you had forgotten it; I didn't know the answer, but I told her if there was it was probably in the MyRU portal
It was a steady shift. As the semester begins to wind down the library seems to stay pretty full. I figure we'll see an increase in "real" reference questions in the next few weeks, as students decide it's time to begin working on those final projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment