Monday, February 7, 2011

Reference Questions, 2/7/11

Well, I'm back on the reference desk after yesterday's long shift. I'm sure this shift will be more lively than last night, it is the lunch shift after all.
  1. Wanted to know how to read a call number and then use it to find the book
  2. Looking for What Uncle Sam Really Wants by Noam Chomsky; it is on reserve
  3. Needed help finding a book in the stacks
  4. Needed help finding a book in the stacks
  5. Needed help finding a book in the stacks
  6. Looking for the journal Speculum in print
  7. Looking for the reserves and headphones
This was a very steady shift. I got the about the same amount of questions in one hour today as I did yesterday in seven hours. The students seemed to be having lots of problems finding books today.

I'm now back for the 5:00 p.m. shift. I hope it's better than the two classes I had earlier today. I don't know that I've ever seen more disengaged students. Oh well, let's see what this shift brings.
  1. Wanted to know where the children's books are located
  2. (Chat) Drive-by chatting
  3. (Chat) Person left before I could transfer chat to my backup; I had a student come up to the desk as soon as I answered it
  4. Student looking for books, databases, journals, government and UN websites on the Sudan and Darfur
  5. Looking for the book Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
  6. Looking for a stapler
It was nice to have a calm shift after two less than fun classes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment