Monday, June 1, 2009

Greensboro College Practicum Day 5, (6/1/09)

I arrived today at 9:00 a.m.

Jennie had planned that I work with Classweb this morning, but they are still have issues with their Classweb subscription. So I began this morning with some copy cataloging. I worked on a reference book by myself. It is the first reference book I have cataloged. It was entitled Session Laws of North Carolina. Since this is a series of books that Greensboro College keeps, I had to add a call number to the existing record. I also cataloged a book that already had a very brief record in the catalog. For that I had to find the brief record, then download the record from Smart Port over top of it. It was the first time I had cataloged something like that too.

On the first of every month Jennie runs several cataloging reports. Among those are the new book reports. This report list every new book the library has acquired in the past month. Jennie uses this list to update the new book section on the library website. Other reports include a list of every book that has been cataloged in the past month. After lunch, Jennie attempted to run off a label report so that I could put labels on all the books I had cataloged so far. She was attempting to use a new system to print the book labels. She ran into some trouble with it, so I tried to help her figure it out. I went through the Report training manual for Unicorn Workflows and it was useless. It covered every report, except for the label report.

I left the library at 4:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment