Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reference Questions 4/26/09

It is crunch time. Next week is the last full week of classes. Hopefully the reference desk won't be too busy tonight on my last late night shift of the semester. I'm sure that is too much to ask for. I am here till midnight after all.

1. A student was looking for the Oxford Companion to African American authors.
2.A student wanted to know if Office 2007 was on the 15 minute express computers. It is not.
3. A student wanted to know how late the library is open. It is open all night, but the reference department closes at 11:45. p.m.
4. A GTCC student asked me if she could work in the reference department. I guess she thought someone was going to kick her out if she came in here.
5. (Chat) A student wanted to know if I knew how to edit an Adobe file. I asked what they meant. They just wanted to be able to fill out a form on Adobe. I told them that the form should automatically allow them to do it if it was that type of form. Then they wanted to know if I knew of any open source software that would let them do that. I'm a librarian not a programmer!
6. A student needed a pen.
7. A student had a question about in text citation for APA style for an electronic dictionary. I could not find it in the APA Style Manual.
8. A student had a question about the English Renaissance Theatre. She wanted to know if the Queen had to pay when she went to the theatre. I found a book that discussed Shakespeare's playhouses. I hope that has the answer she' s looking for.
9. (Chat) Another APA citation question. This one was about how to cite a journal with no author.
10. A student was looking for journal articles on the history of community based art education programs. We found a few things but nothing she was satisfied with. (those education students...) I had to refer her to Mary.
11. A student wanted to know if the Towers were open all night tonight. Yes they are.
12. (Chat) A student had a question about quoting a dissertation that they had previously written. Quoting yourself...hmm...interesting and maybe a little arrogant.
13. (Chat) A student needed to find how many penguin breeds there are. For some reason we no longer have Encyclopedia Britannica online, so I had to use the Oxford Reference database.
14. While I was in the middle of that chat someone from the circulation desk sent a student over to me after they told her that a book by Toni Morrison would be in my section. So I had to stop the chat I was in and look up her book and then direct her where she needed to be.
15. They made the announcement that the front half of the library would be closing at midnight and a student needed to know where she could go to stay. I told her to go to the Towers. Of course she didn't know what I was talking about.

Not as busy as it could have been. I'm sure tomorrow will be horrible. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment