Friday, March 20, 2009

How rude of me...

Well, I guess I need to let all of you inquiring minds out there know a little about me.

I am in the second semester of the Library and Information Studies Graduate Program at the University of North Carolina Greensboro. I have two more semesters to go. I am a graduate assistant to a gem of a professor in the department, and I am also a reference intern at the Walter Clinton Jackson Library on the campus of UNCG. This is only my first semester as a reference intern. My husband (who is also a graduate of this storied program) convinced me to apply for this position even though I despise working with the public. (This is why I want to be a cataloger, they rarely work with the public.) However, I must admit the internship has not been as bad as I foresaw. I am actually enjoying it a lot more than I ever imagined. I've meet some good people in the department and in the library. I couldn't imagine a better place to get my Masters in Library and Information Studies.

Last semester I took Foundations (LIS 600), Collection Management (LIS 615) and Reference (LIS 620). In the Reference class last semester I assembled a 45 page bibliography on Jim Jones, the Peoples Temple and Jonestown. It was a great learning experience and one of the darker topics of all the pathfinders that came out of that class. Everyone was fascinated and at the same time horrified by my topic. I know this sounds strange, but I really enjoyed compiling it. This semester I am taking Cataloging (LIS 640) and Business Reference (LIS 613). In the Business Reference class I am compiling a massive portfolio of business information on Tasty Baking Co. who manufactures snack foods under the Tastykake name. My husband and I love to travel to PA and we are both huge Tastykake fans.

I plan to graduate in May 2010. After graduation I plan to move out of the overrated state of North Carolina to wherever will appreciate my cataloging prowess. Frankly, I am willing to move anywhere in the United States or maybe even beyond the US, however my librarian husband is another story. I'm not sure how crazy he is about the idea of moving across the Mississippi River. I guess we'll see in about 10 months when it comes time to apply for jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment