Friday, March 20, 2009

Cataloging Independent Study

I found out yesterday that I was chosen to do independent study in the cataloging department of my university. The head cataloger had previously told me that several students from my program had expressed interest in this opportunity, which I find hard to believe. I know of only one other person who wants to be a cataloger in the entire department. Cataloging is typically on the bottom of every librarian's list of ideal library careers. Anyway I couldn't careless if I was the only person who applied for it. All that matters is I got it. :) I almost feel like a real cataloger.

Part of my time next semester will be spent working in the Interior Architecture Library in the Studio Arts Building on campus. The library got a huge donation of interior architecture books, and that is what I will be helping to catalog. I am so excited. I will be given the chance to work on some original cataloging which I realize is a nightmare for some people, but it is a golden opportunity for me. I hope to one day be a cataloger in an academic library. I couldn't ask for a better opportunity then this.

No comments:

Post a Comment