Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reference Questions, 1/25/2011

I'm here on the reference desk for another Tuesday night. I might be here for three hours instead of two because my Tuesday night partner is teaching a MKTG 612 class right now that may go three hours. Also the rumor is that we will be getting four to eight inches of snow over the next 24 hours, along with some sleet and freezing rain to round it off. Should make for an interesting Wednesday.
  1. Needed a guest login
  2. Looking for Emma by Jane Austen
  3. Wanted to know how to get to the library catalog
  4. Student was having trouble printing; there were no printers installed on his computer
  5. Student was having trouble printing, and wanted to print from the reference computer because a librarian had let him do that before; however we are not supposed to do that so I told him he had to log back into a computer and try to print again, and to let me know if he had problems again
  6. Same student from question 5 was still having trouble printing; he was having trouble because he wasn't waiting for the print assist window to finish calculating before he hit print
  7. Needed to know how to print select page ranges within a very large pdf
  8. Had a question about printing cost
  9. Looking for the book Career Fitness Program; it was checked out
  10. Needed to know how to change the printing to one sided
A steady shift, peppered with the sounds of fighter jets flying low over the campus. It is amazing how loud they are. You can barely hear yourself think when they fly over. I guess they are flying low and that's why they are so loud. I believe at one point during my shift they were simulating a dog fight over the campus. We hear them all the time. I remember the first time I heard them. I thought we were under attack. I've been told they are flying out of Langley and that they like to fly missions/maneuvers around the mountains here. Our campus is a favorite target because we have the tallest building in the area. It keeps things exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment