Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reference Questions, 10/6/09

This is my first weekday sight ever on the reference desk. I switched shifts with Erin so that I could leave for NCLA this afternoon. I am usually only on the reference desk in the evenings during the week. Let's see if there are any differences.

  1. A student had an appointment with Lea and was looking for her office.
  2. A student was looking for the CITI lab.
  3. (Chat) A grad student had a question about ILL.
  4. A fellow LIS student needed the Rand McNally Road Atlas that we keep in the reference office.
  5. A student needed to know how to use PubMed for a class Wiki page she was working on. She needed articles on Osteoporious. I had a major blonde moment while helping her. I could think how to get the full text of the articles I pulled up. How embarassing. Anyway we both laughed about it, because she didn't know either. I figured it out in the end. :)
  6. Student from #5 wanted to use one of the guest computers because all of the ref computers were full. Well she did until I told her that the guest computers didn't have Word. Oh well. :(
  7. An LIS student had a question about APA citations. We then talked about cataloging for 30 minutes and LIS education in general. :)
  8. A student wanted to know which floors are quiet floors.
  9. An LIS student needed to know where Contemporary Authors is located.
  10. A student was looking for the Reading Room.
  11. A student was looking for Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.
  12. A student was looking for the Lost & Found.
  13. A student was looking for books on human sexuality and the gay community.
  14. A student was looking for the TRC.
  15. A student needed me to pull all 31 rolls of micrfilm from the Women and Word War I collection. Agh!
  16. A student wanted to use a computer to check his email real quick. I pointed him in the direction of the Express Machines.
  17. A student was looking for Special Collections.
  18. A student was looking for the Reading Room.
  19. A student was looking for a Bible so she could confirm that a certain verse was correct.
  20. A student was looking for books on the Trail of Tears.
Not a bad shift. Truly there wasn't much difference from an evening shift. The reference department computers were a little more crowded, but other than that it was about the same. This is the first weekend that I have not had to work, and Fall Break is next week. I need to be lazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment