Tuesday, August 9, 2016

VLA 2017 Elections

I am happy to say that I am running for VLA Secretary this year.

The elections begin today. If you are a member of VLA please consider voting for me. My biographical information and candidate statement are below.

Candidate Statement: VLA has been a huge part of my growth as a librarian since I began my career in 2010. It has helped me find my passion as a librarian, and that passion is service through VLA. Once I began attending VLA sponsored events, I knew I wanted to give back in service to the wonderful librarian community that Virginia has. It is an honor to be nominated for VLA Secretary. Serving as VLA Secretary would be a great professional opportunity, and I believe that my work as Secretary/Treasurer of VLACRL, as well as my work on numerous campus committees, has prepared me for the position. I have learned a great deal about VLA serving in VLACRL, and on the VLA Conference Committee. I would enjoy the opportunity to record meeting minutes, handle correspondence, and establish a calendar of meetings for the Executive Committee and Council, as well as working with the Library of Virginia to maintain the Association Archives. If elected, I plan to put my strong organization and communication skills to use for the Association. Thank you for this opportunity.

Biography: Jennifer Resor-Whicker is a Reference/Instruction Librarian at Radford University’s McConnell Library, where she has been employed since 2010. She holds the faculty rank of assistant professor. She is an active member of the Radford University campus community, serving on various faculty committees and search committees. She is currently serving as McConnell Library’s representative to the Faculty Senate, and as the secretary of the Faculty Senate’s Curriculum Committee. Her BA in English literature and MLIS are both from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is a graduate of the 2012 ACRL Teacher Track Immersion Program. She has published in Virginia Libraries, Communications in Information Literacy, Synergy and Internet Reference Services Quarterly. ALA’s Library Instruction Roundtable selected an article she co-authored with her RU colleagues on web evaluation as one of the top 20 articles of 2013.

Jennifer has been a member of VLA since 2008. She served as Secretary/Treasurer of VLACRL from 2013-2015. She served as co-chair to The Innovative Library Classroom conference for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 conferences. She is currently serving as a faculty member for the VLA Presentation Academy. She served as volunteer coordinator for the 2015 VLA Annual Conference, and is continuing her conference committee service as volunteer coordinator for the 2016 VLA Annual Conference.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment