Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Greensboro College Practicum, Day 15 (7/15/09)

I arrived at the library at 8:30 a.m.

This morning I completed the textbook guide, (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tilE_OoTnHlFSzgnCTLoO9w&hl=en) and I finished going through the textbooks in the CMC, completing the missing publishers list. (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tSLfhTo9ZjDN6n8F7jJXldw&hl=en)

After lunch at Chick-fil-a (Jennie's treat) I began copy cataloging a set of books that are designated for the BB&T Ethics in Capitalism collection. The library received a donation earmarked for this collection. The collection consisted mostly of books on economics and capitalism.

I left the library at 6:00 p.m. thus completing this practicum. :)

I feel this practicum was a valuable experience for me for many reasons. It was my first look at how a technical services department runs in an academic library. Also it gave me a look at an academic library during a time of great financial strain and uncertainty. In today's economic climate I feel that this in itself was an important experience. Things do not always go as planned in a library, as was demonstrated during this practicum. It requires librarians to be creative and think outside of the box. Even with the absence of Classweb I was able to complete one of my main objectives, the textbook guideline. It is good to know that in a pinch there are alternatives to paid services for some situations.

This experience also confirmed that I do want to be a cataloger. I look forward to working in the technical services department at UNCG next semester. It will be interesting to see the differences and similarities between the two schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment